Having a Wi-Fi connection is no longer for business establishments and coffee shops. A lot of households these days find it necessary not just to have an internet facility that can be achieved through wired connections but also a WiFi technology that will allow several family members to connect to the internet with their wireless devices, simultaneously.
However, a lot of households commit the blunder of utilizing their WiFi connection while not at its best capacity. Due to some circumstances, the WiFi may not be bringing the best connection speed that the internet connection can supposedly deliver.
Here are some tips to follow for households to ensure that the WiFi connection is operating at its best:
- Change the position or location of the router – The router enables wireless internet connection by sending out signals through the atmosphere. For this reason, its position has a great factor in providing connection to devices located in different areas in the house. The ideal position is in an elevated and central area. It is also important to take away obstructions that may get in the way of the signals.
- Get a wireless repeater – For larger homes, this device will extend the range of the WiFi so it can reach farther areas within the house. The wireless repeater is simply used by placing it halfway from the router to far areas where there are people who will be expected to use an internet connection. This will also boost the signal strength of the WiFi internet connection.
- Change channels on the cordless phone – If you have a cordless phone and it broadcasts on the same channel as your router, it may cause some intervention with the WiFi’s signal. Try to change the channels on the cordless phone and see if it will make a difference in the WiFi connection’s internet speed.
- Perform some maintenance works on your PC – If the internet connection on your PC or laptop is getting slow, it can be due to a computer virus or malware. It could also be caused by a full memory. Be sure to have a reliable antivirus software installed in your computer to prevent your it from harmful attacks. Be sure, also, to remove unnecessary files which can be clogging up your PC’s memory. There are good system cleaners that can be downloaded and used for free such as Wise Disk Cleaner and Registry Cleaner and it will be helpful to run these in the computer for its optimal performance.
- Try to reset the router – In the same way with suddenly losing the internet connection, experiencing a unexpected slowdown in the WiFi connection can sometimes be remedied by simply turning the router off, waiting for around 10 seconds, then turning it on again.
- If all else fails, call your ISP’s customer service – If doing these steps still won’t improve the internet connection, it will be best to contact the customer service and resist the urge to manipulate the system which should be done only by IT experts. They will be glad to assist you with instructions that will be given to you through phone.
By following these guides, it should take practically no time at all to provide the family members an efficient WiFi internet connection that they can use for different purposes whether for entertainment, studies or work. It does not even take technical know-how to do these steps and all it takes is a little research and initiative to have an efficient WiFi internet connection.
About the Author:
Kristine M. is an experienced writer who writes about high speed internet. In this blog, she aims at helping consumers get an efficient wireless internet connection. This Comcast page helps find more info on Comcast internet that consumers can use for their homes.