Lotus Notes is a well-organized application suite that offers a variety of features including Email. Its functionality is quite unique and depends partially on the Domino Server, hence making the client platform somehow incomplete without this Server environment. Ironically, the client’s strongest and the most incomparable aspect till present is Security offered in different forms, one of which doesn’t work without Server environment.
ACL, Access Control List is a set of permissions the Server Administrator can provide different user accounts with. The protection is assigned from Server level for local protection of database viewing, creation, etc. Overall IBM Notes is amongst top Collaboration systems available for database creation and sharing along with communication.
On a broader note, the client completely lacks user friendliness. The client works more like programming; just like there is a code / script for every action, similarly Notes involves a lengthier way to get even the most simplest of things done. Starting from email formatting which has to be applied using the toolbar list of options to the number of files maintained for each type of data everything about the client seemed to be too organized; beyond the comfort of users. Outlook by Microsoft, in comparison is opted more and since it the comparison of two of the most powerful clients is being done; SysTools Export Notes would be a suitable choice for users that have advanced to the stage of making a change of client. The journey of switching data from IBM Notes client to that of MS Outlook is made simpler and safer by the client via facilities like; message encryption removal support, password protected NSF conversion, all data inclusive migration, etc.
How to Use SysTools Export Notes
- Run the tool, click on Export.
- Browse and Select the NSF file.
- Select Outlook Version.
- Click on Next.
- Select filters.
- Choose Export.
Key Attributes of the NSF to PST Conversion Tool
- Works for both; Database NSF file and contacts NSF file.
- Supports conversion of data inclusive of all views / folders.
- Conversion of data from known password protected database.
- Removal of message level of encryption rendered prior to conversion.
- Original Views / folder structure of NSF database maintained.
- Conversion of NSF database file of any size supported and executed.
- Data size management balanced with automatic new PST creation post 20 GB.
- Bulk database Migration into Live Exchange Supported by chosen licenses.
- Filter options for data category and data items offered for selective conversion.
- Output PST format definable via Outlook version selection.
- Export of data from All Documents view / folder supported.
- A complete data migration report generated at the end of conversion.
NOTE: Installation & Configuration of IBM Notes and Outlook is necessary.
Complete Operations Of Export Notes Application
- From Start menu and All Programs menu begin SysTools Export Notes tool.
- On the first screen, click on Export.
- Choose from the two Browse options:
- Browse Database File: Browse your account database NSF file.
- Browse Address Book File: Select the checkbox and browse names.nsf for only contacts conversion.
- Select Outlook version:
- Choose Outlook 2000/2002 for ANSI PST.
- Choose Outlook 2003 / 2007 for Unicode PST.
- Click on Next to proceed.
- Choose the desired filter options from respective categories to convert preferable data selectively:
- Select Category: Using the checkbox provided against each option, choose the category of data you want to convert:
iv. Tasks (To Do’s)
- Email Filters: Select Email from category selection and filter out selective emails:
i. Received on Interval – Filter out emails according to received date range; ‘To’ and ‘From’.
ii. Exclude Folder(s) – Eliminate the undesired folders from conversion. Separate names with comma.
iii. Exclude Deleted Items – Select the checkbox to exclude on Deleted Items folder.
iv. Exclude Sent Items – Select checkbox for Sent Items folder exclusion.
- Advance Settings: Choose from the listed option for advanced options:
NOTE: Using the option may slow down rate of conversion.
i. HTML Formatting – Maintain the HTML formatting of email data.
ii. All Documents – Convert data from All Documents view / folder.
iii. Remove Encryption – Remove message level encryption.
iv. Internet Header – Maintain internet header information throughout conversion.
d. Calendar Filters: Set a ‘To’ and ‘From’ date range for selective calendar item conversion.
e. To Do Filters: Provide a ‘To’ and ‘From’ date range for chosen range of item migration.
NOTE: Using date range filters will exclude selected dates (To and From) and migrate data of the middle dates.
- Click on Export to begin data migration.
Conversion And Statistics
- A new window will show you two segments depicting the conversion progress with details:
- Current Progress
i. Name of NSF file selected.
ii. Mail count.
iii. Contacts count.
iv. Calendar count.
v. Tasks count.
vi. Journals count.
- Final Report will display final report of the same details.
- Click on Ok once the conversion finishes.
Conclusion: Being a client belonging to the elite group with perfection in every aspect but at the same time non-considerate about user convenience makes IBM Notes users switch from their current application to a client like Microsoft Outlook; moderately good at everything. Export Notes tool from SysTools being a suitable yet capable solution can be used for executing migration from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook platform flawlessly. This program is suitable, if you want to move the emails, contacts, calendars, task, journals into MS Outlook.