Data recovery tools are really helpful when you have lost your valuable files and folders due to accidental deletion or unexpected formatting of the storage media. With the help of an efficient tool you can easily get back your data. However, sometimes users question about the reliability of a data recovery program as it didn’t give 100% result when they used it.
Many times users say that the data recovery tool that was claiming to perform cent percent recovery is unsuccessful as it did not recover their entire data, which was lost due to deletion or formatting of the data storage device. Well, it is observed that in most of the unsuccessful data recovery cases, the recovery software is not at the guilty part. Sometimes, it is the user who does not follow the necessary precautions and sometimes the problem with the storage media are main reasons that are responsible for unsuccessful data recovery.
Let us discuss some these frequent reasons of unsuccessful data recovery in brief:
- Overwriting of lost or deleted data: It is always advised to not use the affected data storage device until the recovery software performs its job. However, due to the unawareness of this fact or due to carelessness, users fail to observe this precaution and thus, face unsuccessful recovery. The reason for observing this precaution lies in the way, the data storage device (be it hard disk or any other storage media like memory card, USB drive, etc) stores data. Every data storage device maintains an index file of all the data stored in it. However, whenever deletion or formatting of the storage media occurs, the index file is deleted, and the data remains on the storage media intact. In such situation, if you save any new file on your storage media, then the overwriting of lost data with new data is quite possible. Since it is almost impossible to recover any overwritten file, thus your data recovery program fails to give 100% success.
- Inaccessibility of data storage device: Data recovery program recovers lost, deleted, or formatted data, but if your data storage device (like memory card, external hard drive, pen drive, or any other media) is not recognized by your computer, then you cannot recover your data even with the help of most efficient data recovery software. However, sometimes due to severe corruption in the device, it becomes inaccessible and asks for formatting wherever you attach it to your system. In such situation, you can format the inaccessible device in order to rebuilt its file system and make it accessible. After that you can recover your formatted data with the help of data recovery software. However, in this you should not expect cent percent recovery; moreover you cannot say that 100% recovery is not possible as well. So, in such cases the level of corruption in your storage media decides the rate of successful recovery.
- Other Causes: Some other causes due to which you cannot recover your entire data are difficult to understand user interface of recovery software and physically damaged hard drive. You become unable to perform successful recovery in these cases as well.
In this way, above explained causes are responsible for unsuccessful data recovery even with the help of most efficient data recovery tool. However, if you follow the below mentioned precaution, then you can decrease these cases of unsuccessful recovery:
- Stop using your data storage media until the recovery software performs its job.
- Try to use a data recovery program that is easy to use and involves simple data recovery steps.
Therefore, by following above mentioned precautions you can expect successful recovery of your lost, deleted, or formatted data with the help of data recovery software.
About The Author
Abhayjeet writes tech articles on various aspects of data loss and useful steps of recovering data. You can follow him on twitter @powellstellar .