Whatever the reason, I’m sure you’re wondering if it is possible to recover deleted messages on the iPhone and the answer is YES!
Backups are your friend, but sometimes they don’t always get done. So for whatever reason something went wrong on your iPhone. Maybe you accidently swiped something and your messages are gone. Maybe a friend pretended to be a hacker and got your phone stuck in recovery mode¡(you know who you are!) Maybe an upgrade caught you by surprise, and now your text and picture messages vanished. Or everything was deleted and now you might be wondering how to get deleted text messages from iPhone 4 / 4s / 5 and so on¡
The way that iOS works is that when the message is deleted, the visible link is removed, but not the data itself. So with a little bit of effort, you can rediscover these messages quite easily unless it has been overwritten or if you have gone out of your way to make a complete factory reset.
Of course, not everyone is a hacker, so the trick is to download a piece of SMS recovery software called Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS. This will recover your text messages (SMS messages) from the iPhone. Windows users can get it here.
Then you can follow the basic instruction overview below,
How to recover deleted messages from your iPhone
- Step 1: Download and install the recovery software compatible with your particular phone and computer operating system (Windows version / Mac Version)
- Step 2: Run the program
- Step 3: Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Step 4 (optional): If your device requires it, follow the onscreen instructions to download the required plugin before entering scanning mode
- Step 5: Start the scan for deleted data
- Step 6: Preview the data found and recover the data that you want back; you can either choose which ones to get back or just recover all of it
- Step 7: Register the software
- Step 8: Save the recovery somewhere
- Step 9: Celebrate the recovery of your data!
After that, make sure to back up regularly to be on the safe side. Another bonus of backing up is that this software can also recover the data from a saved backup. So, if you lose your phone, you will be able to see all the messages for yourself even if your phone gets erased.