Computers have not only revolutionized the way we seek information and work, but also the way we seek entertainment. The Internet has long replaced the conventional sources of entertainment. From watching news, movies or listening to music, all can be done over the Internet with help of a few types of software.
Fast Internet speed, savvy applications, and new file types have made this transition possible. These new file formats, such as the .m4p file format are the carriers of multimedia data across the Web. Without them this transition could not have been possible.
In this article, we will introduce you to three file formats that allow you to view audio and video content on your computer. Plus, we also discuss how to resolve errors that you may encounter while using such file formats.
- .m4p file extension –.m4p files are associated with iTunes, a popular media player from Apple. Audio tracks that are available for download from the iTunes Music Store use this file extension.
- .m4a file extension – The .m4a file format uses Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) to compress audio files and the format is supported by most media players. As .m4a files use a Lossless codec, there is no loss in quality when audio data is compressed.
- .mov file extension – The .mov file extension is primarily associated with Apple’s QuickTime multimedia player. This video format is extensively used for distributing, storing and recording multimedia content over the Internet.
The next section of this article focuses on how to troubleshoot various file type errors.
Ensure that your software support the file format you wish to play
With so many file types being used for distributing, storing and recording multimedia content, it becomes difficult to keep a tab on what file format plays with which media player. If your multimedia player does not support the file format you are trying to play then you are bound to receive an error.
To resolve the error, you may use any of the following methods:
- Install the required codec – Check to see if there is a codec available to play such file types. By installing the correct codec, your favourite media player can play the required file format.
- Use a file converter software – You may use a free file converter program, to convert the file format with which you are getting the error to a format that is supported by your media player.
- Use another software – You may download and install another media player, one which can play the required file format.
- Use a reliable file opener program – File opener program allows you to open various file types. You may use a reliable file opener program to play the required file format.
Keep your audio and video drivers up-to-date
Outdated drivers may cause various file type errors and limit the capability of your multimedia player. We recommend you install a reliable driver update tool to ensure your drivers are automatically updated, as and when new updates are issued by the manufacturer.
Keep your computer free from malware
Lastly, run a malware scan on your computer to ensure your multimedia files are not infected. To fix issues occurring due to malware infection, update your security software with the latest virus definitions and run a malware scan on your entire system.