Companies look to expand marketing campaigns, business conventions and large scale mailings by using print advertising and marketing. Many inexperienced companies attempt to print marketing and mailing campaigns themselves in the interest of saving money.
There are many tools that can be used to create professional looking materials yourself, yet companies may not find the successes they planned. Disaster inevitably happen. This is mainly due to lack of knowledge and experience in managing print campaigns.
Print disasters can happen to the best of you. You are rushed, busy or inexperienced. Mistakes happen and you end up paying for them. There are experienced print managers who know better and still have disasters while others just don’t know what they are doing. Significant amounts of money and time can be saved if you follow a few simple hints.
Common Print Disasters and Fixes
- Using a printer that is not set up to run certain types of print materials can definitely cause a disaster. Your choice of printer can vary with each printing job and you do need to be aware of the limitations of your office printer. Printing projects that are outside the limits of your printer will cause you to ultimately pay more in mark-up when you have to redo them. Quality will suffer and if your campaign looks awful your reputation will take a hit.
- You find that you do not have time to redesign a brochure or a print campaign. If you send out large print campaigns you may have a printing disaster if you neglect to keep your professional printer informed. Keep your hired printer aware every step of the way. This includes the design phase. There may be charges on a print job if graphics are too elaborate. If neglect to ask advice on a design, when it comes time to print, your printer may shake his/her head and state that the job cannot be done.
- Clearly mark all changes and requirements on pre-press proofs. The printer is not liable if you only give oral instructions. Sign documents and proofs. If you neglect to sign or initial, you may pay for additional charges.
- How embarrassing if you send out an awesome campaign that contains a grammar or spelling error. Give yourself sufficient time to check and edit proofs. Do not rush through proofs. This step is crucial to the accuracy of your printed order. You need to read through all materials then have a coworker read them again. Try reading each sentence in the text backwards. If you are not reading ahead you will be more likely to catch a misspelling or a mistake.
- Choose your printer wisely. The lowest cost print company may not be the best. Check out their work habits and premises. If the shop seems crowded and chaotic to you, it probably is, and the quality of work may possibly be shoddy.
Print disasters can be avoided with careful planning, editing, and proofing. You will need to sign a contract that is agreeable to both parties and take precautions to have fail-safe clauses worked into the contract. A print campaign is a reflection of your company and what it does. Perfection on all materials that go out to customers is essential.
Do not be afraid to stop the presses if you are not fully satisfied with the quality of work your hired printer is supplying. Many a potential disaster has been averted by careful scrutiny of all print projects. You are paying for quality service and you deserve to have your printing jobs done professionally.
Jim Stevens writes for PrinterCorp, the market leader in printing services to business in Australia. Visit them today at www.printercorp.com.au to see how they can fulfil your business printing needs.