At the yearly BlackBerry Developer Conference, Research in Motion (RIM) proudly showed off its newest iPad-like slate product, the BlackBerry Playbook. The new tablet was once rumoured to be in the public as BlackPad, however, obviously it wasn’t realized. Certainly this gorgeous gadget had turned out to be a lot nicer than what had been expected.
BlackBerry Playbook is an obvious attempt by RIM to acquire a share from the slate market which is presently being controlled by Apple iPad.
The upcoming Blackberry Playbook will be working under a new operating system named as the BlackBerry Tablet OS. The new OS is produced by the newest acquisition of RIM which is the QNX. The software company was obtained by RIM last April and it’s known for products which are being used by GE and Cisco. BlackBerry Tablet OS is made using the QNX Neutrino microkernel design which is considered to be one of the safest, steadfast and robust architectures in operating system. The new OS offers a lot of possibilities including supports other platforms as well as technologies like BlackBerry 6, Adobe Flash, Open GL, Java, AIR, POSIX OS, SMP, and the new WebWorks platform of BlackBerry. BlackBerry Tablet OS is also developer friendly support a lot of industry standard tools which are familiar to developers.
- The new BlackBerry Playbook is jam-packed with exciting features and very much capable of performing several tasks at the same time. Surely, although a challenger in the slate market, BlackBerry Playbook will never be left behind in terms of capabilities and functionalities. Aside from that, it has been commended as suited for IT departments and developers because of the many development platforms it have.
- The powerful tablet is indeed a portable and easy to carry wherever you go. It is designed to be ultra thin and handy and is really very suitable for use whether for play or work. This cute tablet measures 5.10 inch in width and 7.60 inches in height. It is very convenient to carry since it only has a 0.9 pounds weight. Surely, a portable gadget usable wherever and whenever you like to use it. It features a 7 inch high resolution display which has a 1024 x 600 resolution and is touch screen capable.
- Along with the gorgeous outside of the BlackBerry PlayBook is a powerful powerhouse. It houses a 1 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM and the symmetric multiprocessing supported BlackBerry OS. Combining this great powerhouse results to a highly responsive and superb performance of the new tablet.
- The slate tablet includes features supporting the finest multimedia experience. It has dual HD cameras; 3MP front facing and the 5MP rear facing, and supports a 1080p HD video recording. It also has HDMI-out port for peripheral displays. It features great audio playback for the media player as well as the stereo sound. Additional features of BlackBerry Playbook include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and microUSB.
- The new BlackBerry Playbook is expected to enter the marker on the first quarter of 2011 in the US and on the second quarter for the international market. No words for its pricing have been released yet. Let’s just wait for the coming of this great and really promising slate tablet in the market.