Advanced security software includes premium security suites and separate, premium security applications. Each security suite contains multiple applications. If you install a premium security suite, you might not need to install any separate security applications. Installing and maintaining a single security suite is more convenient than doing so for multiple separate applications.
Premium Security Suites
A premium security suite contains multiple applications that can help protect your PC by guarding against online threats, such as malware and phishing attacks. Security suites also provide separate functions, such as data backup or online storage. Premium security suites include the following examples:
- Avira Internet Security Plus 2013. $127.00, three PCs, one year.
- AVG Premium Security. $70.00, one PC, one year.
- Bitdefender Total Security 2013. $80.00, three PCs, one year.
- F-Secure Internet Security 2013. $60.00, three PCs, one year.
- G Data Total Security 2013. $50.00, three PCs, one year.
- Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Total Security. $70.00, three PCs, one year.
- McAfee All Access 2013. $150.00, five PCs, one year.
- Norton 360. $70.00, three PCs, one year.
- Trend Micro Titanium Premium Security. $70.00, five PCs, one year.
Separate Security Applications
A separate security application is a single software program that performs a limited set of data- or system-protection functions that you might need. For example, if you choose a security suite that meets almost all your requirements with the exception of a firewall, you can install a separate firewall application. The subsections below describe applications in three categories: Data Backup, Firewall and Online Storage.
Note: If you plan to install any separate security application after installing a premium security suite, verify that the separate program will not conflict with that suite. For example, if your planned security suite includes a firewall, you should not plan to install a separate firewall.
Data Backup – You can use data-backup software to preserve selected data folders and files, and then restore them whenever necessary, such as after a hardware failure. You can back up your data either online or to an external drive, and schedule automatic backups. Many data-backup applications can also create disk images (ISO files). A disk image lets you back up your entire hard drive, including all software and data. Separate, premium data-backup applications include the following examples:
- EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation 5.8. $40.00.
- Genie Backup Manager Pro 9.0. $70.00.
- NovaBACKUP Professional 14.1. $80.00.
Firewall – Firewall software helps protect your PC against attacks by Internet cybercriminals and hackers. Firewall applications are highly configurable. For example, you can customize your firewall to block specific websites. Separate, premium firewall applications include the following examples:
- Emisoft Online Armour 6.0. $70.00.
- Ignitum Outpost Firewall Pro. $40.00.
- Zone Alarm Pro Firewall. $60.00.
Online Storage Services – You can use an online (cloud) storage service to encrypt your valuable data and store it online to protect it against both criminal theft and accidental loss. You can access your data through any online device. Separate, premium online-storage applications include the following examples:
- Dropbox Pro. 100 GB storage, $100.00 per year.
- SugarSync. 100 GB storage, $100.00 per year.
- YouSendit Pro Plus. Unlimited storage, $150.00 per year.
Hopefully the above information can help you find the advanced computer-security software that you need.
Henry Bernstein is a freelance writer focusing on technology, cell phones, computer science, assorted gadgetry and other kindred subjects.