In recent years, computer backup and disaster recovery services have become increasingly important as more and more business owners rely on computers for running their companies. For the home users, things like family photos, videos, and music as well as documents are sometimes irreplaceable. Online data backup is easy secure backups and is like having an insurance that protects your data against viruses, theft, or accidental deletions.
The conventional backing up systems uses Tapes (obsolete now), CDs, DVDs and personal Hard drives. Unlike the conventional system, the online backup services securely store your files away from your premises at off-site server locations, which might be some hundreds or thousands of miles away. The best part is you can have 24/7 access to your files from any internet connected computer, smartphone, or tablet style device. A new word “Cloud Storage” which is a synonym of online data backup is being increasingly used nowadays and has almost became mainstream.
The following are the top 3 online backup websites and their main features:
The combination of cheap storage space with useful features and strong security make this service the perfect place to store files, photos, videos, documents and anything you want to safely store outside of your home computer. This service is currently being offered under two products, “Mozy Home” for home users and “Mozy Pro” for business users.
Mozy home has the following features:
- Data centers highest security standards and are SAS70 or ISO certified.
- Near-continuous data protection which automatically detects and backs up new and changed files.
- The ability to pause and resume uploads easily
- Multiple restore options
- Bandwidth throttling
- Excellent customer support via live online chat
- Trial version is free, but limited to 2GB.
- Mozy Home:
- 50 GB – $5.99/month (for a single computer)
- 125 GB – $9.99/month (for 3 computers)
- A 1 year plan gives you 1 month of free subscription and a 2 year plan gives you 2 months free
- Mozy Pro Accounts can be billed monthly, annually, or biennially.
What you have with LiveDrive is an interesting offering in this increasingly crowded space of online backup, online storage. LiveDrive Backup is a previous winner of our coveted Best Buy award, thanks to its reasonable prices, excellent interface. This service is currently being offered under three products, “Backup”, “Briefcase” and “Pro Suite”.
LiveDrive has the following features:
- Add additional computers at any time for just $1.45 per month.
- Sync files between your computers
- Access files on your mobile
- Send files to your favorite social networks
- Restore deleted files
- Military grade AES-256 encryption to keep your files safe.
- Stream your music and movies straight from Livedrive
- Share files with friends and family
- Works on Mac and Windows
- Outstanding support
- Backup: $7.95/mo or $79.95/yr (if paid annually)
- BriefCase: $15.95/mo or $159.95/yr (if paid annually)
- ProSuite: $24.95/mo or $249.95/yr (if paid annually)
- 2 week free trial on any product.
This cloud storage company has a one click solution to backing up files so that their customers can get back to their busy lives and not have to worry about complicated backup routines. MyPCBackup claims that with just three easy steps – join for free, download, and then backup – the information on your PC will be safe even if it is stolen or your hard drive crashes.
Mypcbakup has the following features:
- Backup Photos, Emails, Documents and More
- Hands-free data backups
- Get File from Anywhere
- Secure and Encrypted Software
- Synchronize Multiple Computers
- Unlimited Storage Space
- Free Online Backup
- Automated Backups
- Monthly: $9.95/month
- 6 Months: $6.95/month
- 1 Year: $5.95/month
- 2 Years: $4.95/month
Online backup services securely store your files away from your premises at off-site server locations, therefore reducing the need for your own computer backup storage. Your data will stay intact and available even if your local disks are stolen or your premises suffer some disaster. Even external hard drive security is not that great and with online backup you don’t have to buy and maintain or upgrade your hardware.