If you were one of the lucky ones to be gifted a top-of-the-line eReader for Christmas this year, you may be wondering exactly what you can do to protect your brand-new toy. If you want to extend the shelf life of your eReader and keep it in the best condition, it takes a little planning and TLC.
- Get a case. If your eReader didn’t come with a screen protector or a case, it’s a great idea to get one. Whether you want to admit it or not, most of us can be pretty clumsy if we’re not paying attention. If you’ve already dropped your iPhone multiple times, then your eReader could probably use some added protection. A screen protector can save your screen from chips and cracks and is much cheaper than springing several hundred dollars for a new device if you were to break your Kindle.
- Get a second charger. For less than $10, you can get another USB charger for your eReader. This is a great tool to have on hand so that you never have to go without if your Kindle is low on a charge. This is also an especially helpful accessory to have if you accidentally lose a charger or forget to bring one with you when you are traveling.
- Keep it clean. You can clean your eReader with a soft, slightly damp cloth – but make sure that you dry it immediately with a soft towel to prevent any moisture damage. You can also use a special screen cleaning cloth with a lens cleaner, if it makes you feel more comfortable. Just make sure that you don’t use abrasive products, like harsh glass cleaners, on the screen of your device.
- Read the instructions. A device like the Kindle lets you read the instructions directly through the device so that you can fully understand all of the buttons and features available to you. The instructions will tell you where to find the battery and how to change it if necessary. This type of basic understanding will likely prevent you from making simple mistakes that could be avoided when you understand exactly how your device works.
- Backup your data. Cloud-based services like Dropbox will let you back up the e-books that you have on your eReader. This is beneficial since the e-books that you buy can’t be re-downloaded if they were lost. In some cases, you may delete files on your device by accident, making backups a necessity to prevent any unexpected errors that could erase your data.
Bethany Ramos is a full-time freelance writer that co-owns her own e-commerce website, The Coffee Bump. The Coffee Bump specializes in a wide variety of commercial coffee makers and assorted coffee and espresso products.